To celebrate Palm Sunday and the start of Spring we decided to bake a fresh and scrumptious Strawberry Pavlova for dessert.
As always, the kids wanted to get involved. This time we had sugar spread all over the kitchen counters and floors as well as 2 kids bouncing off the walls after eating lots of the merengue mix! Oh well, it wouldn’t have been fun otherwise… (sigh)
Strawberry Pavlova Recipe
For the meringue
- 4 egg whites
- 250g caster sugar
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the sauce
- 200 gr mixed berries (if frozen, defrost before making the topping)
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 200 ml double cream
For the topping
- Strawberries hulled and halved
- Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Using a pencil, mark out the circumference of a dinner plate on baking parchment. Whisk the egg whites with a hand mixer until they form stiff peaks, then whisk in the sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until the meringue looks glossy. Whisk in the vinegar, cornflour and vanilla.
- Spread the meringue inside the circle, creating a dip in the middle by making the sides a little higher than the middle. Bake for 1 hr, then turn off the heat and let the Pavlova cool completely inside the oven.
- When the meringue is cool, mix the mixed berries and 2 tbsp icing sugar. Place in a food processor, blitz until smooth, then push the fruit mixture through a sieve. Whip the cream with the remaining icing sugar and spread it over the meringue. Put the halved strawberries on the cream and finally pour the sauce over the whole lot.
And voilá! Enjoy.
I have to say there wasn’t any left over. Everyone loved it.
What do you think? Are you going to give it a try?