I first tried this recipe when I baked my sister’s baby shower cake. She loves cakes that are simple in flavour and not too sickly sweet. This cake is just that and as a plus, it’s the easiest cake to bake ever.
As always, the little ones wanted to help, so they did and we had lots of fun baking and eating this delicious orange cake.
Whole orange cake recipe
2 whole oranges, quartered (with skin)
200g of butter, softened
90g of sugar
190g of self raising flour
Vanilla bean paste, to taste
- Pre heat the oven to 180º C
- Grease a cake or muffin tin (this makes great muffins also and as you can see in my photos, I made both)
- Blend the 2 oranges until the orange peel resembles zest.
- Pour oranges into the mixer bowl and add all the other ingredients.
- Mix until well combined.
- Pour into cake or muffin tin.
- Bake in the oven for around 40 min, depending on oven.
Tip: You can also add chocolate chips for a great chocolate orange cake. My kids love it when I do it!
If you decide to try this recipe let me know what you thought. Enjoy!